Benefits of the Passport Update Program
This post is for companies considering purchasing PBS™ and also for our current customers. The following was written by Passport Software’s Partner Bruce Meyer of Bruce Meyer & Associates.
He talks about the various advantages of the Passport Update Program (PUP) as well as the many new features and enhancements of the software. We hope you find it useful.
“Recently a client asked why they should continue to pay yearly maintenance to Passport. Here are some of my responses listed below.
Part of the upgrade process that Passport goes through every year – and that clients never see – is to maintain compatibility with system-level software like Windows 10, Microsoft Server 2019, SQL, and ODBC.
This even includes backwards compatibility with Windows versions like Windows 8, Vista and 7. And that’s not even counting all of the servers that people are running like MS Server 2017, 2016, and 2014.
Third-party Applications Compatibility
In addition, Passport continuously monitors and provides recommendations and patches for maintaining compatibility with third-party applications like Adobe Reader (i.e. creating PDFs), and multiple email applications (like Outlook, Thunderbird, Gmail, etc.)
For example, one of my clients had not been updating their Passport software. Then one day they found that Adobe had updated their PDF software and would not connect to their older version of Passport.
In short order they had to get updated to a current version, and have some custom modifications redone. It was a stress filled couple of months until everything was current and back in order.
Multiplatform, Non-Windows Operating Systems
Passport maintains full functionality with Windows applications. They also maintain compatibility with UNIX, SCO, and Linux operating systems, which is a rarity these days.
Passport maintenance is one of the least expensive programs on the market. Recently a user switched from QuickBooks® payroll to Passport for a lot of reasons, including expense. They were paying QuickBooks® about $500 per year to get a single user version to run payroll.
The Passport maintenance agreement came in lower for the payroll module. And the user says the Passport payroll is better and easier to work with.
For example, over the years I have worked with other software products that expect (demand) that users sign up for maintenance at a rate of 25% of retail per year, based on modules that cost $1500 or more.
One client with 10 users and 10 modules pays over $6000 every year. And don’t even get me started on SAAS – software as a service – systems that require a sizable monthly fee, every month or it stops working!
New Product Enhancements and Functions
Your yearly maintenance support contributes to the development of new products, enhancements, and fixes. Here is a short list of what Passport has developed over the last few years:
· Affordable Care Act Management – Software and Services
· TimeClick® – Time Clock Software
· Payroll for Food Service
· PBS Mobility™ – Mobile Orders and Inventory App
· PBS™ Manufacturing
· CashPoint™ – Accounting Software for NCR Counterpoint
· Credit Card Processing
· Windows graphical user interface (GUI), in parallel to the classic DOS entry screens
· Greatly expanded name and address fields for customers, vendors, employees, etc.
And here is a brief list of what they’ve done in the last 12 months:
· New PBS™ PDF forms designer available in version 12.06.06.
· New PBS™ Manufacturing and financial videos and training library online.
· New regulatory changes to Payroll and Accounts Payable.
· AcuConnect® Thin Client software for secure remote access from home.
· PBS™ payroll including direct deposit and positive pay for secure emailing of employee pay stubs.
Why I personally like, and support Passport software:
I have used a lot of accounting software over the years, starting around 1980. Most of these you probably have not heard of, but they include: Escort™, dbase®, BusinessVision™, QuickBooks®, RealWorld®, AccountMate™, Navision™, and Passport™. There are a couple more that I can’t even remember the names.
Passport has been the most reliable system I have ever worked with. About 10 years ago I decided to focus on Passport alone. Here’s why:
· The Passport staff has been the most cooperative both in sales and in support.
· PBS support has been the most knowledgeable, experienced, and responsive.
· Passport is very ‘supportable’. Programs and data are extremely well documented.
· Correcting Passport data is accessible through SQL, ODBC, and even programs written in BASIC.
· And I have about 40 years of experience with this system.
What’s in It for you?
Maintaining your yearly support of Passport software protects the very valuable investment in the systems and data that you have developed over the last 10, 20, 30 or more years.
Paying for Passport maintenance, and applying updates, is fairly cheap insurance to be certain that your systems keep running accurately and reliably, every day, and into the future.”
Bruce Meyer & Associates is located in the Pittsburgh area and serves the Pennsylvania region. To contact Bruce call 724-837-9433.